Tesla-era Costume Contest
What a great way to celebrate the debonair Nikola Tesla!
$10 entry fee per person. Just bring your cash to Art.Science.Gallery. by 6:30 PM on the day of The Tesla Project, July 5, 2014. The judging starts at 7 PM. We’ll have official judges, courtesy of Big Medium, + an opportunity for the general public to weigh in. Three winners will be chosen: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, with winner getting a sliding scale of the entry fees. 10% of entry fees go towards the non-profit we’re supporting–GirlStart–the rest is CASH PRIZE MONEY!.
- All participants must have a receipt, which you’ll get from Art.Science.Gallery. when you check in.
- Tesla-related costumes are encouraged (think any Tesla-villain) as well as the big man himself and his inventions and inspirations. Random era-characters welcome.
- Pictures will be taken during judging of all participants. The Tesla Project reserves the right to use these photographs on our website or for marketing purposes down the road.
- All participants will be required to sign a permission/release/waiver form to participate in the contest. Minors under 18 years of age may participate in the contest only if a permission/release form signed by the minor’s legal guardian is provided. Forms will be available at check in.
- All costumes must be family-friendly. Judges have the right to exclude participants from the contest for any reason.
- Purchased, professionally made, or rented costumes are welcome, though since hosts of The Tesla Project are Makers, we encourage costumes to be handmade. Participants should be prepared to briefly explain their costume–it’s creation and inspiration.
- No electrical power connections will be provided. If your costume requires power it must be part of your costume design.
- Costumes will be judged on a variety of criteria, including craftsmanship and overall effect. The winners of the contest will be announced during The Tesla Project’s event.
- After judging, there will be a parade ending with an opportunity for spectators to vote on their favorite costumes. Scores will be tallied and announcements will be made as soon as possible.
- Each contestant may present (wear) one and only one costume, or a group of people may wear one costume at the same time (i.e., a large costume that requires several people inside to move it). One or more designers may design and construct costumes for an individual or for a group who serve as model/models. The group will be considered as one entry.
- Additional rules:
- Your costume must allow you freedom of movement so that you can go up steps. Make certain your costume allows you to do this unassisted. You may have up to two assistants to help you, but they will not be provided.
- Parents/legal guardians are required to accompany children 13 years and younger during the Fashion Show.
- All prize decisions will be final. While no changes to these rules are foreseen, certain circumstances may require that the rules be changed. A complete set of current rules will be posted at The Tesla Project.